Hello there! How's it going? It's been a minute. Life has been super busy lately so I have not done any blog posts in a little over a month. I finally got to see The Mandalorian and Grogu last night. I don't do well with movie theaters these days, so I didn't get to go see the movie in theaters back in May. I have Disney+ so I watched it on that last night. I wanted to talk about the movie because it is the latest Star Wars movie and the first Star Wars movie to come out since The Rise of Skywalker came out back in 2019. Not to mention I'm a Star Wars fan and this is a Star Wars blog. Let's get into it!
I was really excited when this movie was announced because The Mandalorian is one of my favourite Star Wars shows, next to Rebels and Andor, and with it being likely that the show's fourth season isn't happening, which sucks, this was a chance to see Din and Grogu again before Filoni's big crossover film that will conclude everything we've seen in The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, and Ahsoka over the last seven years. Whenever that gets made.
This movie is basically Mando helping the New Republic eliminate the Imperial Remnants left over from the Battle of Jakku. Which is what Rogue Squadron, Han Solo, and Luke Skywalker were doing in the books that take place between Return of the Jedi and Heir to the Empire in Legends (minus the Battle of Jakku part). Which is pretty cool. Of course Jabba the Hutt's son, Rotta has to be rescued again, which Anakin and Ahsoka had to do in The Clone Wars movie. And once again, his relatives were involved.
I love that Zeb is in this movie. He was teased during season 3 of The Mandalorian, but I didn't think he'd be in as much of the movie as he is. Zeb is one of my favourite characters from Rebels so it's nice that he and the rest of the crew of the Ghost are getting so much love in the live action shows as they have been between this movie The Mandalorian, and Ahsoka. Sigourney Weaver's character, Colonel Ward, isn't in as much of this movie as I thought she'd be given that she was all over the movie's marketing. She was good though and I'm glad she got to pilot an X-Wing. Apparently Martin Scorsese voices the fry cook that Mando visits on Shakari, a new planet to the Star Wars Universe.
I actually thought it was really cool that they finally depicted the Hutt homeworld, Nal Hutta, in live action for the first time. It's like Corellia, Alderaan, and Coruscant. Planets that appeared in books and comics prior to their live action appearances in a movie or TV show. Though Nal Hutta did appear in a few episodes of The Clone Wars prior to its appearance here.
The Hutts look so amazing in CGI. Honestly, while Jabba was fine as a puppet in Return of the Jedi, but even if these Hutts had been stop motion puppets or even animatronic puppets, the things they do in this movie could not have been achieved. Which is why I think they're CGI. Particularly Rotta.
I think my favourite scene or sequence is where Grogu is looking after Mando after he'd been poisoned by one of the creatures below the Twins's palace on Nal Hutta, similar to Jabba's Rancor beneath his palace on Tatooine in Return of the Jedi, and was near death. It's just a sweet moment between a kid and his adoptive father.
Yeah, this is just a fun side quest movie that doesn't build upon what came before, and it doesn't lead into what's coming after. It's just a nice, low stakes, romp for lack of a better word. Like with most Star Wars movies and shows, it has heart too. And I really enjoyed it. I'm so excited to have Star Wars back in movie form. It's been too long, and I understand why. The Sequel Trilogy and the Anthology films really took it out of people, because from 2015 to 2019 there was a Star Wars movie a year, and even less than six months between The Last Jedi and Solo. Plus with all the shows we've had on Disney+ over the last seven years, it would've been Star Wars overload for the people who aren't Star Wars fans and for the people who, dare I say it, hate Star Wars.
That's it for me for today. I don't know when I'll be back, but life is still busy and I don't know how much time and energy I'll have to post stuff for the next little while. I really wanted to come on here and talk about The Mandalorian and Grogu because I had such a good time watching it last night and had been really excited to watch it since before it came out in theaters back in May. Take care everyone and may the Force be with you!

No comments:
Post a Comment